The Usage panel is a record of chargeable requests made to an organization‘s applications and an organization’s plan details. WordPress VIP measures an organization’s platform utilization with HTTP requests. An HTTP Request, also known as a web request, can be for HTML web pages, static resources such as images, JSON data sent by APIs, and more.
The Usage metrics panel is located in the organization view of the VIP Dashboard.
Usage – Requests
The Usage – Requests panel provides access to historical chargeable request data for analysis no older than 5 December 2020.
To view the Usage – Requests panel, a user must have at minimum an Org member role.
To view “Chargeable requests”, select the tab labeled “Requests” near the top of the Usage panel. By default, the “Chargeable Requests” data is displayed as a chart. The data represents the sum total of all chargeable requests made over the last 30 days to all applications belonging to an organization.
- Chargeable requests (Application Requests and API Requests) are displayed by request category (“APP” and “API”) as well as a summary of both (“TOTAL”).
- “Allowance Avg.” represents the monthly allowed requests for an organization’s account divided by the number of days in the filtered date range.
Data can be displayed in table format by selecting “Table” from the dropdown labeled “Show” in the far upper right of the panel.
Requests by category
Application (App) Requests
- Count towards platform usage.
- Definition: Requests where the response has a content type of HTML or XHTML
- Examples: web page views, redirects,
404 Not Found, editorial activity
- Count towards platform usage.
- Definition: Requests where the response has a content type of JSON
- Examples: REST API, GraphQL API
- Do not count towards platform usage.
- Definition: Requests that don’t fall into the above definitions
Requests from within Automattic and VIP infrastructure do not count towards platform usage.
Filter Chargeable Requests data by day
Chargeable requests per day can be viewed by hovering over the displayed timeline graph.
Filter Chargeable Requests data by month
The most recent 30 days of Usage data is displayed by default. To access other monthly date range views:
- Select the drop down labeled “Show:“
- Select one of the listed available date ranges.
View Chargeable Requests by application
By default, Usage data is displayed for all of an organization’s applications combined. To view Usage data for an individual application:
- Select the drop down labeled “Application:“
- Select an application by typing an application’s alias name in the available search field and selecting an application from the displayed list.
Sharing Usage metrics views
Filtered views of Usage data create unique URLs that can be copied from the browser address bar and shared with other users in the organization with an Org member role or Org admin role.
Usage – Plan Details
Only users with an Org admin role can view the Usage – Plan Details panel.
To view an organization’s plan details, select the “Plan Details” tab near the top of the Usage panel. Plan details are a summary of a customer’s contract with VIP, including “Uptime SLA”, “Code Review”, “Ticket SLA” and any “Add-Ons”.
Last updated: August 03, 2023