Download a backup copy of the entire database of a WordPress single site or a WordPress multisite environment.
- Select an environment from the environment dropdown located at the upper left of the VIP Dashboard.
- Select “Database” from the sidebar navigation at the left of the screen.
- Select “Database Backups” from the submenu.
- Select the date of the backup for download. Database backups are grouped by date, and dates can be selected from buttons in a carousel labeled “Select a date“. The buttons also display the number of backups available for download for each date.
- Select the “Configure Download” button to the right of a database backup.
- In the “Configure your backup copy” modal, select “Entire database“.
- Select the “Generate Backup Copy” button to the right of a database backup.
The button label will display the text “Preparing Backup” while the database backup file is being prepared for download.
Backup files for larger databases will take a longer time to prepare.
- The button label will display the text “Download” when the database backup file is ready for download. Select “Download” to download the file to the user’s local machine.
vip export sql
In this command example, the export of a database backup is initiated for the develop environment of the “mystestsite” application. Updates on the progress of the export are output in the command line terminal.
$ vip @mytestsite.develop export sql Fetching the latest backup for mytestsite ✓ Latest backup found with timestamp 2023-05-31T06:03:07.000Z Creating a new export for the backup with timestamp 2023-05-31T06:03:07.000Z ✓ Preparing ⠦ Creating backup copy ○ Requesting download link ○ Downloading file
Specifying the location of a download
The database file can be exported to a specific location of the user’s machine with a custom file name by passing a local path value to the
--output option. For example:
vip @mytestsite.develop export sql --output=/Desktop/custom-name.sql.gz
Last updated: December 22, 2023