VaultPress for sites on the WordPress VIP Platform will be deprecated in the near future.
Customers are encouraged to access downloads of a WordPress environment’s full SQL database, including custom tables, in the Backups panel in the VIP Dashboard. The Backups feature will receive ongoing support and development.
- VaultPress is an automated backup, stored in an offsite digital vault in real-time.
- VaultPress is available for every site on VIP and runs hourly backups of a site’s SQL database.
- VaultPress backup files can be imported to local development environments, but cannot be imported directly to a VIP Platform environment because of incompatible format and content.
Content of a VaultPress backup
wp_-prefixed tables are included in VaultPress backups.
- For a WordPress multisite environment, each site on the network is backed up individually by VaultPress. WordPress database tables that are shared by the entire multisite can be accessed in the VaultPress backups for the main site (ID 1).
- VaultPress backups do not contain the files associated with the media library. A copy of a site’s media library can be access in the Media Library Exports panel of the VIP Dashboard.
Accessing VaultPress backups
With a VaultPress user account, VaultPress backups can be accessed from a site’s WordPress Admin dashboard, by selecting VaultPress under the Jetpack menu.
A VaultPress user can be added by submitting a request to VIP Support and including the following information:
- The username or email address associated with the user’s WordPress.com account.
- The Site Address (URL) of the VIP site for which they would like to access backups.
A user can create a WordPress.com account without having to create a blog or site by visiting: https://wordpress.com/start/account
Importing VaultPress backups for local development
Jetpack option values are stored in a site’s database and will exist in a VaultPress backup. To prevent these values from creating Jetpack conflicts with the production site, either
define( 'JETPACK_DEV_DEBUG', true );to the local environment’s
wp-config.phpto put Jetpack into offline development mode.
- Run the WP-CLI command
wp option delete jetpack_optionsto delete the options on the local database after import.
To disable VaultPress on a given environment, the
VIP_VAULTPRESS_SKIP_LOAD constant can be defined in a repository’s
vip-config.php file to disable VaultPress and prevent it from loading:
define( 'VIP_VAULTPRESS_SKIP_LOAD', true );
VIP database backups
In addition to VaultPress, the VIP Platform stores database backups in a separate process. The VIP backups are taken hourly for production sites and daily for non-production sites, regardless of whether VaultPress is enabled.