Should I use a subdomain or subdirectory multisite?
Formally, VIP Go supports only subdirectory multisites, but this still allows for all the scenarios you need to cover:
- A pure subdirectory multisite, with sites addresses like
- A site using custom domains, with site addresses like
- A site using a mix of both, with site addresses like
To achieve the same effect as a subdomain multisite, you could map a number of custom (sub)domains, e.g.
We allow up to two segments in a subdirectory multisite path, so
example.com/one (a “one segment” path) and
example.com/one/two (a “two segment” path) are supported, but
example.com/one/two/three (a “three segment” path) will not work, nor will adding further segments. Configuring a WordPress multisite to allow paths with two segments requires a small amount of code, see below for more details.
Configuring a custom domain, including TLS certificate
Configuring a custom domain requires a few steps, and the site using the custom domain will not be accessible at that domain until all have been completed:
- VIP support is required to launch a subsite within a multisite. Following the guidelines in the Launch Day Playbook, please open a ticket at least 5 business days in advance to discuss your plans.
- Add the site in the multisite using a temporary path, then edit the site to change the path to
/(or up to a two segment path), and to change the domain to your desired custom domain.
- If you’re using more than one domain per site, set up your
vip-config.phpfile to handle redirecting secondary domains to the desired primary domain for each subsite. Note that for multisite, redirects between non-www domains and www variants need to be specified in
vip-config.php. Read more on multisite domain mapping.
- From the VIP Dashboard, map the domain.
- Configure the DNS to point to your site. See the documentation on Managing Domains and DNS for more details.
- Install a TLS Certificate. There are two options:
- A Let’s Encrypt TLS can be activated directly from the VIP Dashboard as soon as the DNS is pointed to our infrastructure and mapped to your application (see steps 1 & 2 above). This is the most preferable option, as all updates are automated and your team doesn’t need to worry about renewing the certificate.
- A custom TLS certificate can be procured. Please read the TLS documentation for further information.
- Following launch, we will activate the Jetpack connection and optionally, VaultPress connection for the new site.