Professional Service Upgrade
Customers who add WordPress VIP Launch Day Services to their support package will have a Technical Account Manager (TAM) assigned to them to ensure a smooth launch for their site on the VIP Platform. VIP TAMs will draft and confirm a launch plan for the site, guide customers through the necessary steps leading up to and including the site launch, and advise customers on any last-minute issues that may arise.
Completing a site launch with the Network Sites launch tool will cause the following actions to occur:
- A full backup of the environment’s database.
search-replaceoperation on the network’s database will update:
- All corresponding site tables (e.g.,
wp_*_posts) from the old domain to the new domain.
- The URL values for
homein the corresponding
wp_*_optionstable from the old domain to the new domain.
- The site’s
pathvalues in the
wp_blogstable from the old domain to the new domain.
- All corresponding site tables (e.g.,
- If the site being launched is the main site (ID 1) of the network, the new domain will become the primary domain for the environment.
- The WordPress object cache for that site will be flushed.
- An automated Jetpack sync of the updated site’s content and settings.
- To launch a network site, a user must have at minimum an Org member role or an App write role for that application.
- Complete the steps outlined in Prepare for launch before beginning a site launch.
- On the VIP Platform, there is a specific order of launching sites on a multisite environment. The main site (ID 1) must be launched with a valid TLS certificate for the primary domain before any other sites on the multisite network can be launched.
Select a site for launch
- Navigate to the VIP Dashboard for an application.
- Select the environment for the site launch (e.g., Production, Develop) from the dropdown located at the upper left of the VIP Dashboard application view.
- Select “Network Sites” from the sidebar navigation at the left of the screen.
- Locate the site for launch in the list of the environment’s network sites. To be eligible for launch, a site must have a status of “Launch this site“, “Launched“, or “Update domain” in the Launch Status column.
- Select either the “Launch this site” button, or the “Update domain” link below a site’s “Launched” status.
Set your domain
To be available for launching a site, a domain must be added to the environment’s Domains panel prior to beginning the launch process.
- Select the URL structure for the site launch. Sites can be launched with a URL structure that includes only a custom domain (e.g.,
admin.example.com), or a custom domain with a subdirectory structure (e.g.,
- Select domain. Select the field that appears below the Select domain label to display a list of up to 10 domains available for the site launch. If a large number of domains are associated with the environment, locate the desired domain by typing the first few characters of the domain into the search field.
- For a site that is launching with a subdirectory structure, enter the desired path value in the “Enter subdirectory path” field.
- Review the generated “Final site URL” value.
- If the final site URL value is correct, select the “Confirm” button.
Configure and test your site
Displayed in the panel is a list of the database value updates and actions that will occur based on the accepted final site URL value.
- Review the actions carefully to be sure that they describe the desired outcome.
- If needed, the launch process can be paused by selecting “Skip“. No changes will be made to the database.
To complete this step of the launch process at a later time:
- From the Network Sites panel, select the “Continue this launch” button displayed for the site in the Launch Status column.
- Select the “Change” link at the right of the collapsed “Set your domain” panel. Complete the step to select the new site URL for the site launch and proceed with the step to “Configure and test your site“.
- Select “Update Site” to proceed with the database value updates.
The amount of time required for completing the site update depends on the size of the network’s database.
Possible error when updating a site
If the error message
There was an error updating your site domain is displayed after selecting “Update Site“, the launch was not completed successfully. Only one site launch can be performed at a time, and this error may appear if a site launch is already in progress for this environment.
Configure your DNS
For a site to be accessible at the new site URL, DNS for the domain must be updated with the DNS provider and pointed at VIP. To review options for DNS settings for the site’s new domain, select the linked text “Display DNS instructions“.
After updating a domain’s DNS settings with the DNS provider, the speed at which the updated DNS will complete global propagation is dependent on the domain’s Time To Live (TTL).
- Review the status of a domain’s DNS propagation under “Current status“.
- Domains with DNS that is not correctly pointing to VIP will display a recommended action to resolve the issue.
- Sites with a reverse proxy configuration are likely to display DNS errors. These errors can be ignored, and separate instructions should be followed to configure domains and TLS for a reverse proxy. Proceed to the next step by selecting “Ignore and continue“.
- If action was taken to resolve a reported DNS error, request an updated status by selecting the “Recheck my DNS” button.
- Once the domain’s DNS is correctly pointing to VIP, a button labeled “Continue” will appear. Select this button to proceed to the next step.
Provision a TLS security certificate
Once a domain’s DNS is correctly pointing to VIP, a TLS certificate can be installed.
- Review the status of the new domain’s Let’s Encrypt or custom TLS certificate under “Current status“. If the error message “No certificate found” is displayed for the current status, the user must install a Let’s Encrypt certificate or install a custom TLS certificate from the Domains panel.
- Request an updated status of a domain’s TLS certificate by selecting the “Recheck status” button.
- Once a domain’s TLS certificate is installed, select the “Continue” button.
Set your site status
Monitoring and alerting used by VIP Support differs slightly for network sites marked as “Launched” based on the expectation that a launched site is publicly accessible. Sites on a non-production environment are not publicly accessible and marking their launch status will have no relevant effect.
- If the site has successfully completed site launch and is ready to receive public traffic, select “Mark as launched“.
- If the site is updated with the new site URL, but is not yet ready to receive public traffic, this step can be completed at a later time. All site launch settings completed prior to this step will be saved.
To return to this step and mark the site as “Launched” at a later time:
- From the Network Sites panel, select the “Continue with launch” button displayed for the site in the Launch Status column.
- The user will be returned to the step “Configure your DNS” to confirm the domain’s DNS settings.
- Confirm the domain’s TLS settings in the “Provision a security certificate” step.
- In the “Set your site status” step, select the button labeled “Mark as launched“.
A launched site can be marked as not launched by:
- From the Network Sites panel, select the “Update domain” link displayed for the site in the Launch Status column.
- Select the “Change” link displayed at the right of the “Set your site status” step.
- Select the button labeled “Mark as not launched“.
Last updated: January 16, 2023