Launching a site is also possible by completing the necessary VIP-CLI commands and updates to the WordPress Network Admin that are outlined below.
- A WordPress Super Admin user role is required to update site settings in the Network Admin.
- VIP-CLI is installed
- Sites on a multisite cannot be self-launched until the root site (site ID 1) has been launched, as explained in the order of launching sites on a multisite.
- Read through and complete the steps outlined in Prepare for launch.
1. Change the site URL
- Log in to the root site of the multisite.
- Hover over the “My Sites” label in the upper left hand corner of the WordPress Admin dashboard to access the flyout menu and select:
My Sites > Network Admin > Sites
- On the “Sites” page of your multisite Network Admin, hover over the site you plan to launch and select the “Edit“ link.
- Select the “Info” tab.
- Update the Site Address (URL) to the final production URL to match the domain that was mapped in the Prepare for launch steps.
- Select “Save Changes.”
Updating the Site Address (URL) will also update the
siteurl values, as well as the entry in
search-replace from current URL to production URL
search-replace on tables specific to the site
search-replace operation will update the URLs (including content and media URLs) that exist in the site’s database from the VIP convenience domain to the mapped production domain. Running the
search-replace command first with the
--dry-run flag will report the qualifying changes without altering the database.
vip @mysite.production -- wp search-replace mysite.go-vip.net/site www.mysite.com --all-tables-with-prefix --report-changed-only --url=www.mysite.com --dry-run
The above command performs a targeted
search-replace within the site tables corresponding to the URL specified (to the value that was updated in the previous step). Verify that the output shows only the tables prefixed with the correct site ID, for example
search-replace on all tables of the multisite
To perform a
search-replace across all tables of the multisite, adjust the command as follows:
vip @mysite.production -- wp search-replace mysite.go-vip.net/site www.mysite.com --all-tables --report-changed-only --dry-run
Depending on the size of the database, a
search-replace across the entire database may take a long time to complete and add extra load. Contact VIP support if you need to run a search-replace across the entire database and have further questions.
3. Run final
An example of the
search-replace command that updates the current URL to production URL by removing the dry run argument:
vip @mysite.production -- wp search-replace mysite.go-vip.net/site mysite.com --all-tables-with-prefix --report-changed-only --url=www.mysite.com
4. Flush object cache#
vip @mysite.production -- wp cache flush --url=www.mysite.com
5. Complete the launch#
Finish the site launch by following the detailed completing a site launch guide.