Default image behavior
- All images are automatically converted and served as next-gen formats, including
*.webpfiles, to compatible browsers. Conversely, uploaded
*.webpfiles are automatically converted and served as
*.jpgfiles to browsers that are not compatible with
*.webp. As a result, uploading
*.webpfiles is not necessary, nor is explicitly referencing them in a theme.
- The default maximum upload size for media files is 1GB. For specific use cases it is possible to upload a file size of up to 2GB, but this capability must be requested from VIP Support.
- Image files are served relative to the
home_urlof their site, so images will be on the same domain as a site. This differs from Photon, which serves files through a subdomain of
- Separate intermediate image files are not created for images uploaded to a WordPress media library. Instead, requested image sizes are dynamically generated using a built-in service similar to Photon.
- Image metadata is not stripped by default, but logic can be added to strip image metadata on upload.
Last updated: April 03, 2023