Environments on WordPress VIP are set up to track a specific branch of an application’s GitHub repository. For example, new production environments are set up to track a branch named
production by default. Pushing any changes to this branch (via a push, merge, or rebase) triggers an automatic deployment to the production environment.
The branch of an application’s wpcomvip Github repository that deploys to an environment can be updated in the VIP Dashboard.
- Navigate to the VIP Dashboard for an application.
- Select an environment from the environment dropdown located at the upper left of the VIP Dashboard.
- Select “Code” from the sidebar navigation at the left of the screen.
- Select “Repository” from the submenu.
Update the deploying branch
In the “Repository Management” VIP Dashboard panel:
- In the field labeled “Branch Name“, enter the name of the repository branch that should deploy to the environment after the update.
- Select the button labeled “Change Branch and Deploy“.
A successful update to the deploying branch will result in a code deployment to the environment.
If the branch name entered in the field does not exist in the application’s GitHub repository, the process will fail and no code deployment will occur.
The progress of the code deployment of the updated branch can be monitored in the Deployments panel for that environment.
Last updated: January 31, 2024