Local development and testing can be more effective if the local environment is running with a copy of a production environment’s database and media files.
SQL database files
Retrieve a SQL database backup file from a VIP Platform environment that includes custom tables and is suitable for use in a local development environment:
- Download a full or partial database backup file from the Database Backups panel in the VIP Dashboard.
- Export a full database backup file with the VIP-CLI command
vip export sql.
- Full database backup files shipped to an AWS S3 bucket by Database Backup Shipping.
For other local development applications, refer to that application’s documentation for instructions on importing a database file.
Multiple methods are available to make media files associated with a VIP Platform environment and stored in the VIP File System available to a local environment:
- Media files can be dowloaded from the Media Backups panel in the VIP Dashboard and imported to a local environment.
- Local development applications can mirror a production site’s media library by using a stage file proxy plugin. This approach enables media files newly added to production to be available to the local environment on-the-fly and to avoid needing access to extremely large and time-consuming media export files.
Last updated: November 08, 2023