Code deployments typically take up to 5 minutes to complete. The amount of time required to complete a code deployment can vary depending on:
- The overall size of a branch’s codebase and the number of files within it.
- The number of jobs that are currently in the deployment queue for the wpcomvip GitHub organization. The start of a build for a deployment can be delayed during especially busy periods of time.
- Continuous Integration (CI) tasks or other build processes that are enabled for the deploying branch can increase the amount of time for a build to complete.
The deployment pipeline’s build management tool uses agents to oversee the builds for code deployments. An agent will locally cache the build for a code deploy so that subsequent code deployments can complete more quickly.
For this reason, the build management tool is configured to select the same agent for each repository whenever possible. However, an agent will be required to download a fresh copy of the entire codebase in order to begin building and the amount of time required for a code deployment will increase if:
- A majority of the code in the current deploy does not match the code that was cached by the agent in the previous build.
- It is not possible to select the same agent as the previous build.
Last updated: December 22, 2023